Sunday 21 October 2018

Women in the Movies; an update.

In the midst of all the revelations of discrimination and abuse in the movie world, mainly concerning women, I thought it would be good to point to the fact that in the last year, and reaching into the winter of 2018,   I see there are at least fifty films directed by women,  starring main female leads, sharing equal female/male billing or featuring strong  female roles.       I would rate at least twenty of these as  significant, either to do with their box office breakthroughs,  their critical success or for their sheer innovation.   I have not seen all of these,  but count at least a dozen of them among my favourite recent movies.     Surely this (not my opinion but the numbers mentioned) must be good, rays of light in the dark news still being exposed. 

Films I have seen and admired in the last year.
A Star is Born
Black Panther
3 Billboards
The Phantom Thread
Incredibles 2
Wonder Woman
Lady Bird
The Spy Who Dumped Me
A Quiet Place
Mary Magdalene
Bad Times at the El Royale
You Were Never Really Here
Mission Impossible; Fallout
Red Sparrow
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
The Post
The Shape of Water
Molly’s Game
Ghost In The Shell.
Hereditary
Solo: A Star Wars Story
Mama Mia: Here We Go Again
Deadpool 2

Films I have not yet seen, but which are admired - or much anticipated - by  others. 

First Man
Annihilation
Widows
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Suspiria
Crazy Rich Asians
Mary Poppins Returns
A Simple Favour
Peppermint
The Girl in the Spider’s Web
Halloween
Breaking In
Revenge
Chesil Beach
Overboard
The Party
Tomb Raider
Girls Trip
A Wrinkle In Time
Calling Grace
Fifty Shades Freed
I, Tonya
The Beauty and the Beast
Sing
The Breadwinner
Pitch Perfect 2
Victoria and Abdul
The Hate U Give