Friday 3 October 2014

On the edge of my seat for the Edge of Tomorrow



Within minutes of this film starting I was on its side.  Why?

It is about an alien invasion of Earth, but not of the USA;  this time it’s  Europe. 
A multinational force has been fighting these aliens, led by – an Irish General.
And Tom Cruise was playing a cowardly, malingering, mendacious American Officer,  Major Cage, a PR man who wanted to stay as far away from the action as possible.

When Cage was demoted and sent to the front lines to be insulted and demeaned by Master Sergeant Bill Pullman I cheered up even more.    And I was always aware that Emily Blunt was just waiting to make her entrance.  

OK, so I knew that the premise of this movie was the Video Game conceit that when you die you get another life, and can use whatever you learnt before you died to help you survive this time,  and the next -  that is was essentially Groundhog Day meets Halo, but the pace and wit of the movie, and the way it expected the audience to keep their wits about them, rather than being led gently by the hand through any difficult transitions,  all encouraged me.   And then Emily did arrive - and she was magnificent.   Sgt Rita was the real warrior.   OK, so the aliens were very similar to the robots of The Matrix 2, and the warriors wore exo-skeletons that reminded me of Ripley in her Waldo suit in Aliens, in fact Emily Blunt’s character has a lot of the later Ripley about her, but no harm in that, and this movie played its frequent and witty references and tropes without becoming a parody, unlike, for instance, Cruise’s last SF effort, Oblivion, which just seemed like a mix and match script written by people who might have read SF but had never written any of it; utterly lacking in originality.     I even enjoyed the timing of the release, enacting an invasion of Europe on screen to save it from terror and destruction, so close to the commemoration of the original D. Day.

I liked the way Cruise slowly becomes a hero  not by becoming a killing machine but by being prepared to die, time after time until his goal is reached.   I like the way his character became likeable by not trying to be likeable.   I also liked the way Emily Blunt became impressive without trying to be impressive.   I remember that when I saw her in The Adjustment Bureau and saw her dance I  assumed she had trained before becoming an actor.   But then, when I discovered that she had no previous experience as a dancer, I was even more impressed by her physical authority.   The same goes here.   She completes her choreographed moves with grace and power. 

Despite the inevitable reiterations of the day of invasion, the battle that has to be repeated until  Cage and Rita get it right,  I was kept on the edge of my seat.  And I laughed a lot.  Not at the movie, but with the movie.  At one stage I was even tempted to cheer, and felt a similar frisson in the audience around me.   In fact I was so satisfied that I even forgave its Spielbergian ending.    Spielberg always gives us what we want.  He just makes us wait for it, and then delivers it in ways we did not expect, as when ET and Peter take flight in his bicycle.

So congratulations to  Doug Liman, who directed it using the skills he honed during the Bourne franchise; to  Christopher McQuarrie, who wrote the labyrinthine The Usual Suspects, and Jez Butterworth, who wrote this and Fair Game with McQuarrie;  to  Dion Beeb who filmed this and had previously shot Collateral and Chicago;  and perhaps most of all to James Herbert, who edited it with daring and precision  (just the characteristics displayed, as it happens, by Emily Blunt, and Rita, the warrior).     Herbert edited both the recent Sherlock Holmes movies, and the two of the terrible films he has edited, Sweeney and Gangster Squad, were not bad because of the editing.  No blame there.

I am dismayed by the poor viewing figures for Edge of Tomorrow.  It deserved much better, but maybe sank in the wake of Oblivion and maybe asked a little too much of one of its target audiences.  But you are an intelligent and discerning readership and watchership, so  get the DVD and enjoy yourselves.